Sunday, March 20, 2011

Very first patient....literally.

Today was my first appointment at the brand new Multiple Sclerosis Center for Excellence. I literally was the first patient. Dr. Farhat Husain and Dr. Gabriel Pardo and the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation  have opened up the Multiple Sclerosis Center for Excellence on the campus of the OU Medical Center. Dad and I pulled up to the building this morning and literally they were still constructing the thing on the inside, but it was sure a sight to look at. It was gorgeous, and in the back of my mind I thought, this will be the place I will be spending a lot of my time at pretty soon. I am happy. I am ready to get this started and treated.


We walk in to the freshly put together office. I say that because they were still hooking up the printers, men in construction helmets and tool belts were walking in and out of the office, and all the women behind the glass looked as confused about what exactly to do about the first patient, as I was about my newly discovered condition. I looked at my father, and said "I keep picturing one of the construction men walking out to the lobby and saying, "Erica", just like a nurse would do to call you back at the doctor's office." He laughed.

My father, Miguel Rey Sabedra M.D. is a family physician. He went to Oklahoma Christian College his first year of college and then he transferred to South Western Oklahoma State University in Weatherford, Oklahoma. He had met my mother, from a small town called Hydro and they both attended college there. My father changed his studies from wanting to become a preacher, to biology. He had told me at one point that he just wanted to be able to provide a great life for his family. Not only that, but he has a love for science and the body. He always talks about how amazing the human body is and how God put it together. My father was accepted to the University of Minnesota Medical School, at this time it was one of the top medical institutions in the nation. He also got accepted to Oklahoma University, but he felt this was where he needed to be, and he loved it. He graduated from the University of Minnesota Medical school in 1987. Then we, mom and dad, and my sister and I, moved to Wichita, Kansas. He then continued his residency at St. Francis Hospital. There my brother was born and we then moved to Marlow, Oklahoma. My dad has always been a positive influence in my life. He has always pushed me to stop thinking negatively, no matter what. I know that through this journey, God and my father will be my biggest encouragement.

Dr. Husain is a small Middle Eastern woman. She has short brown hair, dark complected skin, and dark eyes. She wore a navy blue suit jacket with a matching skirt and white collared shirt. Her shoes where brown loafers and she had on glasses. Simple, yet refined. I was referred to her by Dr. Morgan. He said very positive things about her and assured us that she was the best he knew for my condition. She asked me about the symptoms I had and looked at my MRI's. Even Dr. Husain was not prepared for the first patient. She kept running in and out of the room to get paper, then a pen. As she walked back into the room she confirmed what Dr. Morgan had diagnosed. Multiple Sclerosis. We then discussed the treatments that were available today and we decided on Copaxin (sp). The company will travel to my house for a length of time, teach me how to do the subcutaneous injections, and then it will be up to me. She then told me that she wanted me to do a study and I of coursed agreed to all she asked and recommended. I met with Amy, my physical therapist who specializes in MS therapy. I am oh so ready for this recovery. Everything is looking up and I am excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment